“You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” Ansel Adams
Creating a great photograph or video
It’s that time of year again when it seems we all take more pictures of family and friends. Many people ask me how to get that perfect photograph or capture that once in a life time video. I tell them you have to practice. You have to take photos and shoot video year round to get better at doing it. However, with that said there are a few tips I always like to share that will help make your photographs and video standout.
Tips for creating great photographs or videos
Below are five tips to remember when taking photographs or shooting video this Christmas Season.
1. Take pictures or shoot videos – you have to take the pictures or shoot the video in order to have them as memories. So don’t be lazy start snapping the photos and creating the videos.
2. Timing – is everything. Anticipate a moment and capture it as it happens. The idea is to capture a moment in time - be patient and you will be rewarded.
3. Lighting – did you know that photography means “painting with light”? Lighting sets the mood of what you capture. You can take a photograph in the morning light and take the same picture in the evening twilight and you will create two photos of the same thing but both portray completely different feelings. Light is the biggest contributor in conveying the story in your photograph or video.
4. Subject – The subject of your photograph or video captures the spirit. It tells a clear story which is undeniable. Keep it simple. Capturing a sense of motion or emotion provides a powerful message.
5. Composition – make sure what you capture feels balanced and doesn’t give the feeling of falling off the page or give that awkward feeling when looking at it. Your photographs and videos should be pleasing to the eye. Use the “Rule of Thirds” – (not sure what the “Rule of Thirds” is check it out here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds ).
Links to more information
The following are five links to information about photography I thought you would find interesting.
Light Painting Light Sabers – a technique for taking amazing light painting shots
Painting with Light - light painting tutorial
GPP Group Shot = Pressure that Can Make Diamonds – a cool way to create a group photo
Black and White Conversion: Channel Mixer Recipes – creating a Black and White photo
The Real Secret to Taking Spectacular Photos – 10 tips on creating stunning photograph
Go create great photographs or awesome videos. If you feel brave enough, share what you create with your family and friends. Most importantly remember tip #1 above - you have to take the pictures or shoot the video in order to have them as memories. So don’t be lazy start snapping the photos and creating the videos.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!